On 9/13/05, Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 23:31 -0700, Travis Pahl wrote:

> "Our Nation is prepared, as never before, to deal quickly and capably
> with the consequences of disasters and other domestic incidents."
>   - Michael D. Brown, March 9, 2005
> http://www.fema.gov/library/speech_brown030905.shtm

True, regardless of the response to Katrina. It is one thing to say you
are better prepared, it is another to say you are fully prepared
(perfectly) for anything and everything.

Our nation was better prepared before FEMA's existance.

> "This first response and emergency management team has grown because
> of the unfortunate events that have occurred in our nation. But since
> the terrible events of the past, we now have a federal department
> whose primary focus is homeland security. And, in particular, a focus
> on first response."  -Michael D. Brown, Monday November 8th 2004
> http://www.fema.gov/library/speech_brown110804.shtm

Correct, when considering what DHS is for. DHS isn't for natural
disasters. They just try to shoehorn it in when they feel it benefits
them. *cough*budgeting*cough*pressconferences*cough*.

FEMA is part of DHS.  He was refering to DHS and in particular his agency FEMA within DHS when he was speaking about the 'focus on first response'.

> "We're not a first-responder agency,"  -Michael D. Brown, Monday
> September 12th, 2005
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/13/national/nationalspecial/13brown.html

Again, true. FEMA is not and never was a first responder. Nor should
they be.

They should not exist (unconstitutional and inefficient) let alone be a first responder.  But as the quote above shows, he did think FEMA was a first responder before he failed miserably at it.

Travis Pahl