https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=173514

            Bug ID: 173514
           Summary: Noticeable typing lag/input delay in Writer, even on
                    blank documents - Word on the same machine feels
                    completely smooth
           Product: LibreOffice
           Version: 26.8.0.3 release
          Hardware: All
                OS: All
            Status: UNCONFIRMED
          Severity: normal
          Priority: medium
         Component: Writer
          Assignee: [email protected]
          Reporter: [email protected]

Description:
Problem:
Typing in LibreOffice Writer feels laggy and delayed, even though
typing in Microsoft Word on the exact same machine feels completely
smooth with no delay at all. Web browsers on this machine are also
perfectly smooth. This rules out "low power hardware" as an
explanation - if this machine handles Word and a browser without
any lag, it should handle Writer too.



What I already tried (none of this fixed the lag):
- Disabled AutoCorrect completely (Tools > AutoCorrect > While
  Typing - turned off)
- Disabled Automatic Spell Checking
- Tested on a completely blank document, not just my working files
- Fully uninstalled and reinstalled LibreOffice - felt slightly
  better after reinstall, but the lag is still clearly there and
  still noticeable

Why "it's just a low-power laptop" is not an acceptable answer:
This same laptop runs Microsoft Word completely smoothly, along
with a full web browser with dozens of tabs, video playback, and
JavaScript-heavy websites, all without any input lag. If Word and
a browser can keep up effortlessly on this hardware, there is no
reasonable excuse for Writer to stutter on simple keystrokes in a
blank document.

What I expect:
Typing in Writer should feel exactly as instant and smooth as
typing in Word or anywhere else on this machine, since the hardware
clearly has no problem running far more demanding software.

Why this matters to me:
I am seriously considering migrating from Microsoft Office to
LibreOffice, mainly for the licensing cost and openness. But
issues like this - and the separate Skia rendering bug I reported
(black boxes on window snap/resize) - are making me reconsider.
If basic day-to-day typing does not feel as smooth and reliable as
what I already have in Word, it is a hard sell to switch my
regular work over, no matter how good the price or philosophy is.

Additional context:
This lag issue appears separate from the Skia/GPU rendering bug I
reported earlier - it happens regardless of Skia settings and
persists across a clean reinstall.

- Tested on LibreOffice 26.2.5 - lag present
- Tested on LibreOffice 7.6.7 (the last 7.x release before Skia
  became relevant) - lag present
This lag happens across every version I tested, so it does not
seem to be caused by Skia, or by any specific version - something
more fundamental seems to be slow about typing in Writer generally
on this machine, while Word and browsers stay completely smooth.


Why this matters to me:
I am seriously considering migrating from Microsoft Office to
LibreOffice, mainly for the licensing cost and openness. But
issues like this - and the separate Skia rendering bug I reported
(black boxes on window snap/resize) - are making me reconsider.
If basic day-to-day typing does not feel as smooth and reliable as
what I already have in Word, it is a hard sell to switch my
regular work over, no matter how good the price or philosophy is.

I would really appreciate this being looked at, since it's one of
the main things standing between me and fully switching to
LibreOffice for my daily work.

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Steps to reproduce:
1. Open a blank Writer document
2. Type a paragraph of text at normal typing speed
3. Notice a delay or stutter between keystrokes and text appearing
4. Compare by typing the same text in Word on the same machine -
   no lag at all
2.
3.

Actual Results:
What I already tried (none of this fixed the lag):
- Disabled AutoCorrect completely (Tools > AutoCorrect > While
  Typing - turned off)
- Disabled Automatic Spell Checking
- Tested on a completely blank document, not just my working files
- Fully uninstalled and reinstalled LibreOffice - felt slightly
  better after reinstall, but the lag is still clearly there and
  still noticeable

Expected Results:
It should be smooth


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No

Additional Info:
Why this matters to me:
I am seriously considering migrating from Microsoft Office to
LibreOffice, mainly for the licensing cost and openness. But
issues like this - and the separate Skia rendering bug I reported
(black boxes on window snap/resize) - are making me reconsider.
If basic day-to-day typing does not feel as smooth and reliable as
what I already have in Word, it is a hard sell to switch my
regular work over, no matter how good the price or philosophy is.

I would really appreciate this being looked at, since it's one of
the main things standing between me and fully switching to
LibreOffice for my daily work.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.

Reply via email to