Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 12:08:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael J. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPS - what's best for 70 CT?

As others on this list, I use Delorme's Street Atlas with the Garmin
eTrex.  I power the eTrex with rechargable alkaline batteries, getting 6-8
hours on a charge (I have a 12V power cable but never use it - too many
cables snaking around).

I'd strongly recommend the eTrex over Delorme's Earthmate/Tripmate, since
1) You can upload a route from Street Atlas to the eTrex, detach the eTrex
and use it independently to follow the route (the Earthmate/Tripmate are
useless by themselves).
2) The eTrex has (in my experience) about twice the battery life of the
Earthmate/Tripmate, *and* the eTrex has a batter meter so you can tell
ahead of time when your batteries are about to die.