Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:25:36
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: upgrades to a 70CT

Maya,

Actually I'm quite jealous - I think you have a most amazingly distinctive
name. Permission to use it in a short story sometime? No-one ever publishes
them so you'll be quite safe!

Re W98: I'm avoiding it (and it's postdecessors (if that's the opposite to
predecessor)) because:

o I don't like MS business methods/ethics.
o I don't like systems that crash on a regular basis - and require
restarting after the most trivial change
o I don't want a system on a machine used by all the family that has no
protection between users, so daughter can download a virus and wipe us all
out.
o It's resource hungry and slow (with the exception of the shutdown)
o I have no peripherals which require w98 exclusively
o I like to play...but I *don't* play computer games

So I mostly use linux - though I'm by no means an expert on the subject and
now the home setup is four computers:

1) linux only providing internet access and firewall for the others
2) lib dual booting w95 and Mandrake 7.1 (finally got that running this
afternoon!)
3) dual boot pentium 300 with a bout 30g space - dual boot w95 and Mandrake
7.1
4) daughter's machine with spanish keyboard - pentium 233 dual boot
w98/office 2000 (to get the spanish wp) and Caldera 2.4e (with word perfect
8 spanish, uk, and us). She uses the linux about 90% of the time.

I just noticed I *do* have a w98 machine. But *I* don't use it :)

If you want to play linux, I'd recommend either Mandrake 7.1 or Caldera
eDesktop 2.4 - this has possibly the best install I've seen. But be warned -
there's a very steep learning curve for linux. I don't claim to be any kind
of expert and I've been trying to learn for a year. Plus you may have
difficulty finding apps that do what you need. But it's worth a try and at
least it gets you out from under Bill's thumb!

Cheers,

Neil 'crawling slowly' Barnes