Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:09:36 -0800
From: "Michael Berlant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Cellular & Libretto

Perry,

Make sure you check out your local cellular providers' plan offerings before you jump
into this.  Most companies charge extra for the privilege of using your cell phone as
a modem and many even charge you per minute of use, not allowing you to apply your
plan's included voice minutes to data.  If you live in GoAmerica's CDPD area, I
believe they have an unlimited plan for about $65 per month at a maximum speed of
19.2kbps if the wind is at your back.

If you're still game, there is some good news.  My experiences in Japan at 9.6 and in
the US (CDPD) at 19.2 have both been tolerable, considering the flexibility of being
absolutely portable while connected.  I have never tried connecting from a moving
vehicle, but sitting in a restaurant or on a park bench are both preferable to being
tied to a desk.

YMMV.  Michael