Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 07:54:37 -0500
From: Konrad Szwab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Vertical Lines in screen

The closest similar setup is in  the LCD display of a watch. You have gold
traces on glass, then either a film cable with traces or rubberized contacts
glued or press fit to the traces and then connecting to an electronics board
(the controller). I had a problem like this on a HP 5700. What you need to
do is carefully open the display and carefully press down and see at which
point the lines dissappear. Probably it will be a very precise spot. Then
fold a piece of paper in 4 and try to nicely wedge it in between the plastic
case and the cable. Be VERY careful not to scratch the cable. It may work
for a while. In my case, I wanted to sell the machine and did not want it
returned after a few weeks/months, so I just replaced the inside of the LCD
subsystem.
Now, the Lib screen is very small so that may further complicate things.
The only dangerous voltage is near the neon lamp and its inverter board. It
will probably not kill you, but it will be very unpleasant. Do not touch the
neon contacts or the inverter board with power on ! While off, it should be
safe, I do not think it has any large capacitors. I got burned once by an
LCD neon lamp, it made a nice burned pinhole in one of my beefy fingers.