Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:37:56 +0100 (GMT/BST)
From: Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows reinstallation assistance required!!

Hello George,

Yours seems like a familiar story. I sounds like you received the same
(useless) package with your 100CT as I did.

Out of curiosity, when and in which country did you purchase your
100CT? Most other people I have spoken to received a CD rather than
the stack of floppies.

I have a long standing gripe with pre-installed operating systems on
computers - not just because it colludes with an obnoxious monopoly,
but also means that users get no experience in installing the system
until after they have created lots of precious data, and usually no
longer under warranty support from the manufacturer.

In any case, I decided to re-install windows on my 100CT soon after
buying it, so that I could re-partition the hard drive to make room
for other operating systems, and also so I could confirm that my
installation media was ok.

I took the precaution of backing up my original system using
the Microsoft backup utility, and as an additional precaution (as
I don't really truct Microsoft software) made a file by file backup
over the network to a Unix machine.

After repartitioning, I carried out the installation and encountered
similar problems to those you described. The supplied media did not
really match what was described in the instruction manual, so it
was largely trial and error. As one piece of hardware was gotten
working, another stopped. And I never found any way to reproduce
the CAB files to as to prevent floppy disks being asked for during
later installations....

I eventually gave up and resigned myself to the fact that the only
way to get the machine back to its original functionality was to
re-install from my backups. Needless to say, the Microsoft utility
failed to complete a restore from the backup. At the end of the
lengthy procedure, it would print some error about something having\
gone wrong, and tell me to try again. And of course doing so always
produced the same result. I eventually managed to re-create my
original system by replacing the files lost by Microsft Backup
from my file by file backup.

I reported this problem several times to the Toshiba helpline,
and never got a reply. (except one reply to a message I sent to
their e-mail support address, telling me they were not ready
to supply support yet).

I primarily use Unix, so I did not feel it was worth spending
more than six months tying to sort out that installation problem,
so gave up at that point. I hope you have more luck. I don't
think it is too hard to get back to a usable system. I just
thought it was pretty poor that there was no way to get back
to the way it was originally shipped.....

Regards,
DigbyT

P.S. out of interest - how many people out there on the list
received a 100CT with the stack of floppies as installation
media? How many tried to use them? Anyone sucessfully?

> Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 22:27 +0000
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Windows reinstallation assistance required!!
>
> Lib100CT/Win95
>
> Have reformatted and appear to have successfully reinstalled Windows
>  95 via the 22 floppies included with the device... however I need
>  help with following:
>
> 1. Tosh Handbook refers to CAB file installation on section 2-14 of
>  handbook - but have followed procedure using the first of the windows
>  disks but does not work.
>
> 2. Need assistance with the other Toshiba disks... have installed the
>  user guide and accessory disk but how do I install the other disks? I
>  appear to have installed the Yamaha drivers but it is showing as
>  conflicting with Soundblaster in device manager - do i just remove it
>  from hardware profile?? The NeoMagic drivers apear to have gone in
>  ok.
>
> Maybe someone could mail me a phone number as a short dialogue would
>  probably save me hundreds of postings here!
>
> George

> Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...

Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk