Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:47:59 +0100 (GMT/BST)
From: Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows reinstallation assistance required!!

> > Mine was also bought in the UK. Perhaps it is a problem
> > specific to the UK model?? Does any other region use the
> > 'shift 3' = pound sign keyboard convention??
>
> That would be the normal place for a # key in the US. Perhaps
> you may want to try the normal or default layout English US?

The English keyboard has '#' on the right most key above the
enter key. Ie shift-# gives you a tilde.

The pound sign is indeed where hash is located on a US keyboard,
which can be confusing given that some misguided souls are
in the habit of calling a hash a 'pound sign'.. I don't
know what they call an actual 'pound sign'.

I prefer the US layout personally, as it seems like a terrible
waste to devote a key (even a shifted one) to a local currency symbol.
Shift-4 is ok, because '$' is useful for expanding environment
variables and denoting hexadecimal constants in assembly language,
amoungst other things. The fact that it is displayed as an Australian
currency symbol is entirely unimportant most of the time...

I suppose European keyboards going to spring up with a Euro symbol
somewhere now??

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk