Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:31:21 +0800 (HKT)
From: Anthony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Libretto 30 *now* "blind" to fitted Hard Disk(s)

31-05-01 @ 23:32

I've a now useless Libretto 30 :

I wrote & FAXed the following to : Toshiba Japan from my home in Hong Kong.

I've edited it a bit before send in it to you for any thoughts / possible
fixes :

                 Reference Libretto CT30 - serial number 11621803

The Libretto has a fault - it will NOT detect that any Hard Disk is
inserted. This happened immediately after Win98 crashed with "blue screen
of death". The computer checks the RAM, and then does nothing at all for
several minutes before looking for the Floppy Drive.

I have done several tests before taking it to Chevalier, your Hong Kong
distributor - and they confirm that they can not get it to "find" any Hard
Disk inserted into the computer, and the BIOS screen can not be changed to
show a Hard Disk is there.

Chevalier can not try to repair it since they have never handled this model
 and have no spare parts. [It was a "grey market" import]

I suppose that *only* your repair shop in Japan could fix it, or is there
anything I (an electronics engineer) can do to repair it here?

My Libretto is a treasured friend - I don't want to have to buy a
competitor's portable, so PLEASE RESPOND PROMPTLY.

I **NOW add the following :-

Since it seems remarkably stupid to have made this computer **HAVE** to
detect the presence of a Hard Disk - whoever heard of a portable computer
being sold WITHOUT a Hard Disk being installed - *AND* have the BIOS
option of booting from Floppy *OR* HD, the circuit designer ought to get
castigated for this ridiculous situation!

NOW : Is there any way of FORCING the BIOS / Computer to recognise that a
HD **IS** fitted - even if this means soldering a wire from one point to
another?

As an Electronics Engineer, that is something I am perfectly capable, and
equipped to do - if I am provided with the correct information and circuit
diagram and a picture of the physical layout of this computer showing what
link(s) I would need to make / break.

Just because of the stupidity of the original designer, an otherwise
excellent portable - which I have used extensively for storing digital
camera pictures on my travels - is NOW totally UNUSABLE.

I'm taking a trip in three weeks time, and really **NEED** an urgent fix
for this computer.          <UNQUOTE>

Tonight I received this rather unhelpful response out'a Toshiba Japan :

(again, edited lightly for brevity).

Thank you for using our product and also sending us a letter regarding
repair of Libretto 30CT.

I am afraid that you PC is Japanese domestic model ( officially sold in
Japanese market only) and not covered by International repair
warranty.Therefore it can be repaired in Japanese authorized repair center
only. In addition, we do not sell any repair part to the customers. As
reasons above, please send PC to following repair center.

Atten; Mr. Hagiwara
          Toshiba PC repair center
Add; 5-20-7, Masago, Mihama-ku, Chiba, 261-0011, Japan
Phone; 81-43-278-8122

Before send PC to Japan, Please understand several limitation as below.
1. All repair costs must be borne to you. Remit amount to our account
before start repairing or pay it by cash on delivery after repaired is
preferable. Accept Japanese Yen Only.
Cost is such as repair part and labor fee, customs fee, and shipping cost
back and force between Japan and Hong Kong.
2. Tell us which address we should return PC after repaired. It limits
Japanese address only, since strict export control and it's notion of that
your PC is not just a product but your property, it makes very hard for us
a company to ship your PC to your place, Hong Kong directly.

+++++++++++  end of message from Japan.

Well, I have to ask, has anyone had this problem of the HD *NOT* being
found - it is impossible to set the BIOS to show the HD is fitted - the
hi-lite just "jumps" over the HD specification. likewise, a previously
captured CMOS backup file with a "restore" mode can NOT force the setting
of the HD.

............and if so, did they find a cure for this problem. It seems
absolutely ridiculous to "jump thro' hoops" to get it fixed in Japan.

Regards : Anthony Green.

 ...I used to have a handle on life, but it fell off.