Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:27:45 -0400
From: "Pres Waterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: in  car power supply

I really feel I must pipe in here, because there's a fresh set of faces
trying to do the "obvious" and plug their Libretto in directly to a car.

DON'T DO IT.

I don't care if so-n-so has done it for 22 years. I know electronics, I know
cars, and I know a dumb idea when I see it.

Do you <whomever> really think the $100 adapters that take a cigarette
lighter plug into a Libretto/other laptop have nothing but air inside? NO.
They're inverters, regulators, filters. They do a job. Hooking a $1000+
computer to raw dirty power to save a few bucks is just insane.

Take an oscilloscope and look at the power in a car. Nice and clean. Now
crank the engine. Spikes-noise-crud.

Do what you want, but do not disseminate really bad advice just because you
don't know better and have gotten away with it so far.

Thanks

Pres Waterman W2PW
c/o Patchogue Motors, Inc.
Long Island Ford and Kia dealer