Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:21:47 +0100 (GMT/BST)
From: Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] fdisk cannot partition 8.4gb

Hmm, I make 7,978MB = 8,365,539,328 which sounds close enough to me...

(you do know 1GB is not 1000 MB right??? )

I measured the hibernation start as 8,373,335,040 on my 100CT, but the
BIOS may be holding back a little more for some reason. Probably rounding
to the nearest cylinder boundry according the the mapped geometry
(multiple of 16065 sectors). Of course aligning to virtual cylinder
boundries is completely pointless, but that is Microsoft for you..

You don't have to reserve space for the hibernation partion if using
windows FDISK. It gets the drive size from the BIOS, which automatically
subtracts what it needs. That is the advantage of doing the FDISK on
the Libretto rather than on a desktop. In fact it reserves 64M for
hibernation, and an additional 12GB out of stupidity.

The point where you have to be careful is when you use a more powerful
os which knows about the entire disk to allocate the space on the
other side of the hibernation area.

Don't know about the 1137MB limit. Did you enable support for large
disks when starting FDISK?

Regards,
DigbyT

P.S. You didn't mention which Libretto you have - they may behave
slightly differently.

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk