Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:20:50 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Help

Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:43:45 +0000
From: barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sunday 10 Nov 2002 3:50 pm, you wrote:
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:43:14 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
> From: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Help

Ian - could I trouble you to lose the HTML? It's kinda hard to read...

> Hi Neil=0D
> =0D
> I have just tried starting it using F8 no joy I get not ready message.=0D
> =0D
> The Floppy / CD tries to start ie you get an initial noise from them then
> they stop.=0D
> =0D
> Ian

How about the boot? I'm suspicious of the drive itself.
Remember, the PCMCIA floppy drive only works as a standard floppy drive on bootup. Once you've booted the OS, you need drivers to run it (regardless of the OS - Windows95, 98, NT, 2k, Linux, etc.).

Look through www.toshiba.com for drivers.

Another thing is that if you loaded Windows 95 on a *different* laptop, it may have misconfigured the PCMCIA controller to start with. Go into hardware settings and delete the entries for the PCMCIA controller then reboot, get Windows to redetect then get it to reinstall the 32 bit drivers (do this by double clicking on the PCMCIA entry in Control Panel after you've reinstalled the drivers). I can't remember if the 50 needs it's own PCMCIA drivers, cruise around the toshiba website and see if you find any anyway.

Finally, if you partitioned the hard drive (less than 8 gig) in another computer, be aware that should the laptop hibernate, it may destroy data in the upper portion of the hard drive as the other computer is unlikely to have reserved that space for hibernation data. Use a program such as Ranish Partition Manager or Partition Magic to resize the partition (leave about 50MB of free space at the very end of the drive) to get around this.

Hope this helps!

- Raymond

P.S. If possible, please set your mail client to only send your emails in cleartext, without all the extensions and without the HTML copy, all of which seems to confuse the list mailer and makes your emails really hard to read.

---

| | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?" |
| ___ | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| / \ a y b o t | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| | Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet! |
| ICQ: 31756092 | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! |