Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:42:33 +0000
From: barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Help

On Monday 11 Nov 2002 1:28 am, you wrote:
> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:20:50 +0800
> From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Help
>
> At 07:54 AM 10/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:43:45 +0000
>
> From: barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >Subject: Re: [LIB] Help
> >
> >On Sunday 10 Nov 2002 3:50 pm, you wrote:
> > > Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:43:14 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
> > > From: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Subject: Re: [LIB] Help
> >
> >Ian - could I trouble you to lose the HTML? It's kinda hard to read...
> >
> > > Hi Neil=0D
> > > =0D
> > > I have just tried starting it using F8 no joy I get not ready
> > > message.=0D =0D
> > > The Floppy / CD tries to start ie you get an initial noise from them
> > > then they stop.=0D
> > > =0D
> > > Ian
> >
> >How about the boot? I'm suspicious of the drive itself.
>
> Remember, the PCMCIA floppy drive only works as a standard floppy drive on
> bootup. Once you've booted the OS, you need drivers to run it (regardless
> of the OS - Windows95, 98, NT, 2k, Linux, etc.).

Is this necessarily so? My recollection is that 95 from a standard
installation disk image uses the bios to address the floppy; though having
loaded a 95 from the original toshiba floppies last week I was surprised to
find that it too failed to see the floppy (which is, I submit, a bit rich!).
I'm not inclined to experiment further because I just used 95 as a vehicle to
get 98 and linux cd images on the HD for daughter's machine.

Either way, checking that the Lib boots from the floppy, and can see the
floppy if booted from the HD in dos mode (*not* a dos start from within
windows) is a good first test.

Again, it would be good if Ian could remove the HTML.

Neil