Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:57:41 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] FD Image

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Well, thanks for the utterly misplaced confidence in my ability! My
hopefully logical if incorrect deduction - anyone feel free to shoot me down
here - was that the system files must be written to the beginning of the FD,
and copying a directory full of files to a FD might not place those files at
the beginning.
This was what I was wondering too. But I couldn't call up any dependable information from memory (which is the way it's becoming more often these days) about just what makes a bootable FDD bootable.

Granted, I could make a system/boot disk, then copy
everything else to it, but extracting an image to the FD preserves the
correct placement and is more convenient.
It is easy and convenient to use image backups, isn't it? I've gotten to like this USB CF card reader since this 100CT keeps burbing on my PC card CF reader. It's just one less step than the PC card reader to get things set up when I plug the card in. But it is kind of nice not to struggle with finding the PCMCIA slot rails in order to insert the PC card.

Off to find a bootable FDD to play with.