Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:28:04 +0000
From: "Matt Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Which NIC for my Libbys?

From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> it. But would it be possible to use my old Xircom 16bit combo modem in my
> L70 to connect to the Internet via dailup, and be able to access the net via
> my L100 networked to the L70 via Win98SE networking?

You could only if the Xircom supports access by modem and ethernet at the
same time. You'd look for Windows 98 Internet connection sharing for help....

Okay... I have a Xircom Creditcard Ethernet 100 + modem 56 model cem56-100. Couldn't the info on that on the Intel website, and they've stopped email support. Will have to search around a bit more to see if it supports both.

> few more things to set if it's possible to access the net via the system
> without the modem and dialup connection.

Whatever that means? Meaning thorough a cable modem/dsl line?....

The L70 with the Xircom combo accessing the net via a dialup connection, and networked to the L100 at the same time.

> If it is possible to get that going, I just might return the 16bit card, and
> exchange it for the 32bit model (same price). That way the L100 ought to
> achieve a bit faster transfers when connected to a newer desktop system with
> the 32bit card over the 16bit one.

10mbps ethernet will get you decent transfer rates to the desktop. 100mbps
will do better if both computers have such cards. but, limiting factor is how
fast can the Libretto handle before it poops out and how much can the 16/32-bit
interface handle?

if the desktop is doing internet at cable modem/dsl speeds, you still have
the limitation of other sites (assuming you're dl/ul to them) and I don't think
you'll likely max out even a 16-bit 100mbps card in the Libretto.

At the moment I have the 16bit Xircom combo in the L70, and 16bit Linksys NIC in the L100. Using the L100 to transfer data to the L70, Windows 98 'System Monitor' on the L70 shows data being written at about 350MB/s. Well below the theoretical 10MB/s both cards are rated at.

What I'd like to establish is whether ot not that transfer rate would speed up when networking the L100 to a desktop, with the desktop networked only to the L100, and not doing any other work online or otherwise.

Thanks,

Matt

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es