Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:52:04 -0800
From: Trench Shoring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] OT: Soldering problem

When I used to smoke I always carried a butane lighter that was a wonder tool for stripping wires. Just don't inhale.

TS
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 08:56:08 +0000
From: "Matt Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I used to scrape it off but then I realized that if you just get a blob of solder on your iron and hold the ends of the enamel covered wire in the blob, the enamel melts/burns off and leaves you with nicely tinned ends! This also seems to go with the fine (plastic?) strands that you sometimes find the wire strands wrapped around, that just melts/burns away. I generally have a fan going to blow the fumes away though.

I did sort of try that, but I guess I'll have to dig up the old 30w iron. I have the 15w one here I was doing micro-soldering with, but I think I need a bigger blob.

It did hit me that I might be able to burn the enamel off with a flame, but the only constant flame I have is a candle, and I had a couple problems.
The enamel caught on fire and raced up the wire. (Hmmm.. maybe changing the angle of attact!??) But I think the candle left too much soot that the little bit of flux in the solder couldn't deal with, if >any< flux can.

Then... is it possible to actually burn the copper wire itself, leaving an oxide that would be hard to solder to? Those strands are so thin I can break them off if I scrape them too hard. I'd think if I had a pipe soldering propane torch, I could incinerate lengths of the stuff in a second.

A small pencil butune/propane torch might be nice.

From: Jochen Frieling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

One technique I have heard of (and perhaps also used once a long time ago,
can't remember) is the following:

Dip the end of the wire in something like isopropylic alocohol (aka
rubbing alcohol) and light the wettened end with a flame. The heat of the
burning alcohol should remove all insulation. Using too much heat or
applying it over a prolonged time might make the copper brittle.

The enamel itself caught fire fast and burned pretty darned well. I don't know if it may have left some residue outside of the candle soot. But I couldn't get solder to flow onto the strands after I burned then, and wiped off the black residue I could.

Matt

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1