Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:44:44 +0200
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] PS/2 mouse conflict w/W98SE & Winamp 5.xx

Matt Hanson wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:27:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: PS/2 mouse conflict w/W98SE & Winamp 5.xx
>
> Has anyone had this problem?  I've been seeing it well
> over a year or more now.  The mouse just goes nuts in
> Win98SE when audio is playing in Winamp.  I get sudden
> jumps of mouse position from one side of the screen to
> another.  And when the problem gets worse with time,
> right-click menus start popping up while just moving
> the mouse a little way across the screen.

Just a WAG: conflicting resources? IRQ, I/O addresses, etc. Just check
in System -> device mgr all settings of your mouse & multimedia stuff.
Perhaps
Otherwise remove the mouse and/or other hardware from Device mgr and
have Windows re-discover it on next boot.

> I notice I don't have the problem with the sound
> driver for this TDK sound card.

This clearly hints to hardware resource conflicts, or a mixed-up
registry.

> Another pet peeve I have with Windows is I can never
> right-click on "My Documents" in Windows Explorer and
> select "Find" to search recursively.  MS in its
> infinite wisdom disabled the 'Find' option just on
> that one folder.  Anyone ever notice that, or solve
> the problem?

I experienced similar things. E.g., from the File menu, if I moved the
mouse pointer on New -> Folder the menu would disappear. I could only
make new folders by typing an "F".
FYI, a complete Windows reinstall fixed the problem.......

And now a useful hint (for a change):
When after installation of some HW or SW Windows 9x proved to be stable,
I always saved the registry files and config files using Win95's ERU
utility (IIRC somewhere in \Admin on the W95 CDROM). Saved my butt
regularly: when I encountered trouble (sometimes after a particularly
ruinous scandisk session) I restored the system by just restoring the
latest ERU backup.
(BTW WinME has a third registry file which must be copied by hand, I
forgot the name.)

Philip