Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:45:27 +0100
From: "Avi Cohen Stuart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] Margi DVD-to-Go card works!

Hi Matt,

> >From: "Avi Cohen Stuart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >I got the card running with 98SE, W2K and XP. But only with
> XP I got it >stable enough.
>
> What kinds of issues did you have with stabilty in W98 & W2K?

W98 the playback was not smooth and with W2K I got BSOD in stream.sys
from time to time.

> >Just got a BSOD in stream.sys under XP as well... maybe I should try
95
> >again or work again on the linux driver...
>
> And XP was more stable for you!?  I'll be interested in
> hearing how W95 works for you.

Yesterday I tried a test with a PCMCIA DVD drive to try to follow up on
what Phillip wrote in relation to thruput speed ISA vs PCI/PCMCIA. For
some reason my Freecom drive isn't pushing bytes fast enough into the
Margi.

As I have the sources of the Margi driver I have to check if I didn't
make a slight change somewhere in the code as my tests that I did
(before my 40Gb hd drive made problems) a couple of months ago was with
DVD's ripped to the HD.

Also I played a bit with the bios setting by letting the OS do the irq
assignments. That didn't made any real difference as far as I could see.

I diff-ed the code I got vs the changes I made and I'm going to do a
test again with my modified driver. The changes are little but might be
significant.

I don't know if I'm going to reinstall W95 again to check dvd replay. I
might either try to write an own driver without leaning on Kernel
Streams and reuse the existing sources partially and make a user mode
driver with giveio or something else. (If i find some time.)

Avi.
N.B. For NDA reasons I cannot share the source code.