On 2012.07.16 18:38, Pete Batard wrote:
> Therefore your statement should really be that no USB device on Windows
> has a device address, insofar as libusb/libusbx defines it.

OK. Might as well pick on my inaccuracies in light of Alan's statement.

As Alan pointed out, as other OSes, Windows does provide a device
address (conn_info.DeviceAddress), which may or may not be what the USB
bus uses, and what we will also use for libusb.

So my statement that no USB device on Windows had a device address is wrong.

Also, if I recall correctly, which also makes sense with the previous
explanations, "driverless" devices on Windows use address 0, which I
think is why I had to push the root hub to address 255 from 0.

Not sure what happens if two driverless devices are on the same bus
though...

So unlike what I was stating, and as Alan also clarified, Peter was
correct in indicating that we only need to devise an address for root
hubs, which we don't need to device for other devices, as it is read
from the OS.

Regards,

/Pete