Hi.  Thanks for responding but I guess I didn't make myself clear.

When a LICQ chat window is opened, that chat window is raised and has
focus.  But within that chat window itself the cursor can be in any of
several places.  Ideally, I would like the cursor focus to be and remain
in the *send* window portion of the chat window - that window where your
typing is done.  For me, it isn't there, it's somewhere else within the
chat window meaning that I either have to tab until the cursor is
focused correctly or take my hands off the keyboard and move the cursor
focus there with the mouse.  That is a pain.

Just as a test, I installed GAIM.  The cursor focus of GAIM's chat
window behaves correctly so I don't believe that there's anything wrong
with my Window Manager.

I'm using a pretty stock version of Red Hat 8, btw.