Broken?  Before I switched to gaim, I'm fairly certain my LICQ online
notify worked fine.  The only thing I recall that was out of the
ordinary was that the default online sound config was pointing to a file
called Notify.wav which didn't exist.  I told the config to use
Online.wav (which did exist) and everything then worked fine.