Hot damn. I installed Lift using mvn install on my local copy, and went
back to the webapp and ran mvn jetty:run -U and IT RUNS. I now have
"Welcome to the super duper catalog!" at localhost:9090.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, DEREK.

Now, any ideas on how to switch it from HSQLDB to PostgreSQL?

I presume that I should change:

perscala/pom.xml:

     <dependency>
       <groupId>hsqldb</groupId>
       <artifactId>hsqldb</artifactId>
       <version>1.8.0.7</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
       <groupId>org.postgresql.Driver</groupId>
       <artifactId>postgres</artifactId>
       <version>8.3</version>
     </dependency>

And change webapp/pom.xml:

     <dependency>
       <groupId>org.apache.derby</groupId>
       <artifactId>derby</artifactId>
       <version>10.2.2.0</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
       <groupId> org.postgresql.Driver</groupId>
       <artifactId>postgres</artifactId>
       <version>8.3</version>
     </dependency>

Or do I even need this, as the Derby code is commented out and all
access to the DB will be through perscala?

And change perscala/resources/META-INF/persistence.xml:

     <property name="hibernate.dialect"
value="org.hibernate.dialect.HSQLDialect"/>
     <property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class"
value="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver"/>

     <property name="hibernate.dialect"
value="org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect"/>
     <property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class"
value="org.postgresql.jdbcDriver"/>

I'm not quite sure what to do about the jpaweb.properties file:

#HSQL Database Engine 1.8.0.5
#Fri Sep 05 15:02:33 PDT 2008
hsqldb.script_format=0
runtime.gc_interval=0