I'm on board with this vision as well.

In my current java framework I do 2 distinct passes against any url.

the first pass connects a url to a data model

    packageMap "^/sports/video/(.*)"    "/sports/video/doc.xml"
    (this is Groovy by the way)

That is an xml file that expands into a larger xml file.  It has entries
like

<module name="videofeed" uri="mapped://videofeed" cache="0" />
<module name="channelnews"
uri="midgard://cachesvc/api/data/sports/channelnews.xml" cache="0" />

the second pass is to pull the freemaker template

    viewMap "^/sports/video/.*/"    "channels/sports/video"

The beauty of this is that the fully formatted XML is available for
developers to look at and ops to monitor.  Adding new data to the page means
adding a 'module' to the doc.xml.  Since I'm interested in scale most of the
doc.xml is continually regenerated on the server keeping down the number of
network calls to the middleware.

There are warts here, but this system has served my team well and allows us
to onboard new front end guys fast and reuse data heavily.

The downside (or upside!) is that the rendering framework has almost no
native datastore, it sucks in REST resources and spits our text (HTML, Json,
XML etc...).

I can imagine something where we do 2 passes on a template and rather then
binding the snipped data to the snipped node just build up list of the
'needed data', assemble it, and then pass it to the template.

In freemarker it is easy to namespace the XML node to keep things clean, and
easy to grab data that exists in any other module.

    <#list doc.package.latestCoolVideos as video>
        ${doc.config.sitename} <!-- pull stuff from server config -->
            <h1>${doc.package.channel.name}</h1> <!-- pull stuff from
anywhere in the model -->
            <dl>
            ... <!-- common HTML module for showing a list of videos -->
                <dd class="source">${video.own...@prettyname}</dd>
    </#list>

You can even treat the first pass as a web page itself.  Our initial
prototype had the 'doc.xml' as a webpage. (the load model function itself
can just call out the http server that returns a XML)

I know we all hate XML, but there are benefits here.  I can easily test the
templates by feeding in known XML data and validate the data layer against
schemas or any number of XML libraries.

So I guess my ask here is to make the 'data' model easily visible without
having to open a debugger or mess with logging.

The nut I have not been able to crack is how to keep this easy to code and
maintain.  Now we have another set of files to deal with, a mapping file, a
template and  data.

-Aaron