On Jul 20, 10:55 pm, Miles Sabin <mi...@milessabin.com> wrote:
> JDT weaving being enabled is your problem.
>
> What versions of Eclipse and the Scala IDE?

3.4.2 and 2.7.5

> Also is the filesystem layout of your Eclipse install unusual in any
> way? Is it read only?

Workspace in ~/ and installation in /opt/eclipse-3.4.2. plugins/ and
features/ are writeable to some user I hadn't seen before (no
mnemonic, only a numeric ID), the rest all read only to the user
that's running it.

So I changed my permissions/ownerships on this stuff, because I was
tired, and initially all the manual edits I'd made screwed my eclipse.
By removing all the edits eclipse ran again, but the plugins I'd
installed via update sites had been removed. I reinstalled the scala
plugin, and now it says JDT weaving is enabled, and the original
problem appears solved, so thank you.