Can we take this as confirmation that 3.5 is now the recommended eclipse
distro to work against?

If so, the wiki needs updating:
http://www.scala-lang.org/node/94

especially the bit about "(3.5 Milestone releases are not fully supported)"
------

*Requirements*

The recommended (and minimum) versions of the components required to use the
Scala Eclipse plugin are,

   - version 6 or newer of the Java Development
Kit<http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/>(minimum version
   *5*)
   - version 3.4.1 or newer of Eclipse
"Classic"<http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/>(3.5 Milestone releases