2009/7/30 James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/17 Timothy Perrett <timo...@getintheloop.eu>:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I've been taking a look at Jersey and how it operates with Lift by way
>> of the recent integration that cropped up on dev.java.net...
>
> Though it did start here first! :)
> http://www.nabble.com/using-Lift-templates-stand-alone-inside-other-frameworks-like-JAXRS--td23177478.html#a23558689
>
> BTW it was only when there was lukewarm response on the fork I created
> at github that I popped it into Jersey instead. Though David did most
> of the heavy lifting hacking Lift to make templates reusable outside
> of Lift's normal servlet+controller layer
>
>  From my perspective, I see how having a standard RS service framework
>> could be helpful, but it appears to bypass important lift concepts
>> like SiteMap etc so I'm just wondering what the benefit of using such
>> a layer would be over using DispatchPF etc to create REST services or
>> serving xml fragments for templates? (I have no idea about Jersey
>> apart from the basic docs ive read, so if im missing a major benefit
>> id love to hear discuss)
>
> As David said there are strengths and weaknesses to both approaches. I
> see them as alternatives really; use one approach or the other or mix
> them if required. My main motivation of the original Jersey <-> Lift
> integration was to enable JAXRS folks to reuse Scala/Lift code for
> templating instead of the joy that is JSP/JSP EL/JSTL/custom tag
> files/(SiteMesh|Tiles).
>
> I'd always assumed the SiteMap and JAXRS were kinda separate parts of
> the URI space. Though having said that I've just noticed that using
> Jersey + Lift trunk together in an application is currently broken
> unless there is some kind of SiteMap defined :).

Strike that - pilot error! I'd broken the web.xml in that application
to disable Jersey's filter, DOH :). Jersey + Lift works fine with
1.1-SNAPSHOT and 1.1-M3 of Lift.

> I wonder if one day
> we can kinda get Jersey to expose its own SiteMap (of sorts) into
> Lift's SiteMap?

It would certainly be useful to reuse Lift's Menu rendering when using
a Lift template to render a JAXRS resource bean; am sure that would
not be too hard to fix. We might want to support adding resource beans
to the menus too

--
James
-------