On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:13 AM, James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/7/30 James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>:
> > 2009/7/17 Timothy Perrett <timo...@getintheloop.eu>:
> >> Hey guys,
> >>
> >> I've been taking a look at Jersey and how it operates with Lift by way
> >> of the recent integration that cropped up on dev.java.net...
> >
> > Though it did start here first! :)
> >
> http://www.nabble.com/using-Lift-templates-stand-alone-inside-other-frameworks-like-JAXRS--td23177478.html#a23558689
> >
> > BTW it was only when there was lukewarm response on the fork I created
> > at github that I popped it into Jersey instead. Though David did most
> > of the heavy lifting hacking Lift to make templates reusable outside
> > of Lift's normal servlet+controller layer
> >
> >  From my perspective, I see how having a standard RS service framework
> >> could be helpful, but it appears to bypass important lift concepts
> >> like SiteMap etc so I'm just wondering what the benefit of using such
> >> a layer would be over using DispatchPF etc to create REST services or
> >> serving xml fragments for templates? (I have no idea about Jersey
> >> apart from the basic docs ive read, so if im missing a major benefit
> >> id love to hear discuss)
> >
> > As David said there are strengths and weaknesses to both approaches. I
> > see them as alternatives really; use one approach or the other or mix
> > them if required. My main motivation of the original Jersey <-> Lift
> > integration was to enable JAXRS folks to reuse Scala/Lift code for
> > templating instead of the joy that is JSP/JSP EL/JSTL/custom tag
> > files/(SiteMesh|Tiles).
> >
> > I'd always assumed the SiteMap and JAXRS were kinda separate parts of
> > the URI space. Though having said that I've just noticed that using
> > Jersey + Lift trunk together in an application is currently broken
> > unless there is some kind of SiteMap defined :).
>
> Strike that - pilot error! I'd broken the web.xml in that application
> to disable Jersey's filter, DOH :). Jersey + Lift works fine with
> 1.1-SNAPSHOT and 1.1-M3 of Lift.
>

> > I wonder if one day
> > we can kinda get Jersey to expose its own SiteMap (of sorts) into
> > Lift's SiteMap?

There's a way to dynamically create submenus based on a function in SiteMap.
 We could wire that up to Jersey's mechanisms to expose dynamic stuff via
SiteMap.

Also, a lot of Lift's dispatch stuff is based on PartialFunction.
 PartialFunction is just apply and isDefinedAt... so we can build partial
functions based on the data supplied by Java frameworks and dynamically
dispatch from the underlying stuff.

Git some: http://github.com/dpp