On 11/12/09 5:28 PM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
> Jean-Adrien<jean.vauc...@gmail.com>  writes:
>

> [...]
>
> I have the same issues with the localized properties....
>
>> = Conclusion =
>>
>> The problem here comes from my initial configuration. But in my sense
>> it is not a good idea to store i18n data in another format than UTF-8.
>
> Agreed

However, for minimum grief I always use unicode escaping (using \u) in
locale properties.

The output of "native2ascii src/main/resources/translate_fr.properties"
should interest you :)

>> Maybe lift should not use java.util.Properties to handle i18n strings.
>
> Could be nice, but not java standard, so there may be interop
> problems. But maybe a LiftRule setting for a UTF8 property reader
>
>> Moreover keys in properties file does not allow spaces, and the
>> feature to use S ? "a key with space that will be used as a default
>> value" does not work.
>
> You can have spaces in keys:
>
> Last\ Name = Efternavn
>
>> Another approach would be to use java.util.Properties in its xml form:
>> <entry key="key">value</entry>  this one supports UTF-8, but once can
>> find it too versatile.
>
> Oh no! I definitely don't want to go that route...much too verbose.

You don't have to use the xml format really. Just escape the characters
with unicode encoding (\u) and you should be covered.