On 1 April 2012 08:26, Graham Percival <gra...@percival-music.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 06:12:27AM +0000, k-ohara5...@oco.net wrote:
> > On 2012/04/01 05:00:25, Graham Percival wrote:
> > >it would be much nicer if there was a macro for this.
> >
> > It is better to define macros for just the part inside the for(...) .
> > Then we can write, and auto-indenters can indent,
> >
> > for (UP_and_DOWN(d))
> >   { ... }
> > for (LEFT_and_RIGHT(d))
> >   { ... }
>
> ooh, I like that!  I really, really like it!
>
> > However, is a macro nicer ?
>
> Yes, absolutely.
>
> > The first time every new contributor sees this loop form, she has to
> > take the time to understand it.  The macro adds two steps to initial
> > understanding: realizing that this must be a macro, and then searching
> > for the macro definition.
>
> I disagree.  If there's a macro like that, used everywhere in the
> code base, then as a new contributor I'd be happy assuming that it
> does what it claims.  If UP_and_DOWN(d) was broken, then surely
> there'd be tons of breakage all over the code.  I consider this a
> useful abstraction.
>
> Now, there should probably be a paragraph explaining those two
> macros in the CG.  But that's a minor detail.
>
> - Graham

Hi,

I've uploaded my patch without for_UP_and_DOWN, but now it's time to talk
about this #define. I'd like to make a second patch that will introduce
that, but there was no consensus.
If you don't know, what I am talking about, take a quick look at:
http://codereview.appspot.com/5975054/diff/1/flower/include/direction.hh (lines
75-90).

*Opinions:*

Keith: LGTM, except that it confuses the two programs we have used recently
for

automatic code indentation.

Graham:

I don't find that for loop to be particularly easy to understand; it
would be much nicer if there was a macro for this.

Keith:

It is better to define macros for just the part inside the for(...) .  Then we
can write, and auto-indenters can indent,

for (UP_and_DOWN(d))
  { ... }
for (LEFT_and_RIGHT(d))
  { ... }

What do you think about those macro/function macros?

Łukasz