On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Kieren MacMillan <
kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi David (et al.),
>
> > This brings back the days of getting my dissertation--an orchestral
> composition--through all the final hoops.  Did the explicit requirement of
> 1.5\in at the left (if I remember correctly) include the instrument name or
> not?  There never was a conclusive answer.  You could see the varying
> interpretation in past scores.
>
> Imagine a [beautiful, beautiful!] world where Lilypond is the standard
> engraving application, and the stylesheet system Urs and I are working on
> is complete…
>
> A university (e.g.) could simply maintain/supply “approved thesis
> stylesheets” (one each for standard full orchestra, piano solo, string
> quartet, etc.), which would automagically output exactly what they wanted
> to see.
>
> =)

Yes, this would be wonderful.  It would also be wonderful if I had known
about LilyPond at the time.  I wouldn't have spent so many soul-crushing
hours redoing so so many things after a layout change, finding inexplicably
disappeared accidentals after a rebarring, individually positioning and
repositioning page numbers.  Plus much of it was algorithmic.  A
"version-control system" that consisted of saving lots of numbered files or
printing. Oh, I don't want to think about it.

David