The way to duplicate this, for me, was to Save/Share a file, then go back
and try to load any file.

I finally figured out how to use the tool.  What was confusing me was that
a) there was already a whole measure rest in the display bar, and b) that
you need to be pointing the mouse on the rest to add a note.

---
Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)