To be clear, to make sure I understand it correctly, when you are calling

    \myFunction \with {
        preset = style-two
    } c'

that is a synonym for, assuming your original definition of style-two:

    \myFunction \with {
        parent = default
        color = #magenta
    } c'

Is that correct?

If so, to me, the elements of "preset" are in the vicinity of what I would
call arguments, as they are values you supply to a function.  But since
these arguments are all properties, it's probably better to call them
properties.  Since they can be overridden, I'd think of them as property
defaults.

I would find it clearer as

\defineDefaultProperties \with {
     parent = default
     color = #magenta
} my-function.appearance style-two
{
    \myFunction \with {
        defaultProperties = style-two
    } c'
}

If you wanted a more generic name, I would go with:

\defineArgumentDefaults \with {
     parent = default
     color = #magenta
} my-function.appearance style-two
{
    \myFunction \with {
        argumentDefaults = style-two
    } c'
}

HTH,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
ela...@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator