On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:15 AM Urs Liska <li...@openlilylib.org> wrote:

> Hi Elaine,
>
> Am Montag, den 13.07.2020, 15:31 -0700 schrieb Flaming Hakama by
> Elaine:
> >

> The inheritance model is in fact borrowed from CSS.
> But while probably 90% of usage will be about appearance the concept
> itself is completely not tied to that, so I really don't want to imply
> anything like that in the naming. Although I was pleasantly surprised
> about "theme".
>
> Property sets might as well define which statistical data from a
> compilation to log, or how to construct output names, whether to
> include git status info in the file's metadata or filename, whether to
> base your composing algorithm on the weather forecast or stock market
> data - or actually anything you like.
>
> Therefore I won't follow your suggestion here. Right now I'm pondering
> property subsets and property configurations.
>
> BestUrs

Ok, thinking of audio engineering, yes 'preset' is a common enough term.

I guess I also agree with the opinion that, typically in things things like
compressors, a preset sets all the options.  In that context, there are
out-of-the-box ones the manufacture suggests which you can use as a
starting point.  And then you want to be able to recall the state of any
custom dialed settings you decide to save as a preset.

I think that allowing more flexibility by allowing partial settings is a
great idea.  And it certainly does not prohibit using presets to be a
complete definition--just define all the settings and it will do so.

Yet, when used in these partial and cascading circumstances, the overall
setting would most logically be considered the 'preset', but the
constituent ones might be considered something like preset groups, preset
themes, or preset bundles.

A preset group/theme/bundle might be complete preset, or it might not.   In
terms of how they function in this suggested usage, there is no need to
distinguish between complete and incomplete presets.

But since not every preset group/theme/bundle is complete, it is probably
best in the code to use a modified term like presetGroup, presetBundle or
presetTheme, and leave the more generic 'preset' for colloquial use of
"complete preset".

HTH,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
ela...@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator