Thanks Abraham

I have read that section again and I am still a bit confused at what I am
seeing in this attempt at a MWE.  In bar 2 the voiceTwo notes are shifted
right, but in bar 5 the voiceOne note, a dotted note, is being shifted to the
right.  I have tried using the Staff.NoteCollision.prefer-dotted-right override
but that doesn’t seem to help.  In bar 7 there is a different construct with
temporary voices and there the shifting looks like what I want.  I am trying to
get the dotted stemUp note in bar 5 to be shifted left.

\version "2.24.0"
\include "english.ly"

SopranoMusic = \relative c'
{
  fs4 fs e | d d d | b'2 b4 | a d, e | d2.^\markup "why right?" | s2. | s2.
}

AltoMusic = \relative  c'
{
  d4 d cs | b cs c | b2 d4 | d d cs | d4 d e | << { fs4 e d | e2. } \\ { d2 s4
| d b cs } >>
}

\score {
      \new Staff
      <<
        \key d \major
        \time 3/4
        \new Voice = "sopranos"
        {
          \override Staff.NoteCollision.prefer-dotted-right = ##f
          \voiceOne
          <<
            { \SopranoMusic }

        }