On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 8:12 AM Carolyn Beeton <carolyn.bee...@icloud.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Abraham
>
> I have read that section again and I am still a bit confused at what I am
> seeing in this attempt at a MWE.  In bar 2 the voiceTwo notes are shifted
> right, but in bar 5 the voiceOne note, a dotted note, is being shifted to
> the right.  I have tried using the Staff.NoteCollision.prefer-dotted-right
> override but that doesn’t seem to help.  In bar 7 there is a different
> construct with temporary voices and there the shifting looks like what I
> want.  I am trying to get the dotted stemUp note in bar 5 to be shifted
> left.
>
> [image: PastedGraphic-1.png]
>
> \version "2.24.0"
>
> \include "english.ly"
>

> SopranoMusic = \relative c'
>
> {
>
>   fs4 fs e | d d d | b'2 b4 | a d, e | d2.^\markup "why right?" | s2. |
> s2.
>
> }
>

> AltoMusic = \relative  c'
>
> {
>
>   d4 d cs | b cs c | b2 d4 | d d cs | d4 d e | << { fs4 e d | e2. } \\ {
> d2 s4 | d b cs } >>
>
> }
>

> \score {
>
>       \new Staff
>
>       <<
>
>         \key d \major
>
>         \time 3/4
>
>         \new Voice = "sopranos"
>
>         {
>
>           \override Staff.NoteCollision.prefer-dotted-right = ##f
>
>           \voiceOne
>
>           <<
>
>             { \SopranoMusic }
>
>           >>

>         }
>
>         \new Voice = "altos"
>
>         {
>
>           \voiceTwo
>
>           <<
>
>             { \AltoMusic }
>
>           >>

>         }
>
>       >>

>   \layout { }
>
> }
>
> Thanks,
> Carolyn
>
> On Jul 31, 2023, at 10:36 PM, Abraham Lee <tisimst.lilyp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi, Carolyn!
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 8:22 AM Carolyn Beeton <carolyn.bee...@icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The default when there are two voices with colliding notes is to shift
>> the voice with upstems (odd-numbered voices) to the right and voices with
>> downstems to the left.  I would like the opposite - i.e. voiceOne, with
>> stems up, shifted left.  Is this possible?  (not as a single override, but
>> throughout the entire piece)
>>

> I trust you've seen this section in the NR on collision resolution, but if
> not, here it is:
>

> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#collision-resolution

> [...]
I won't pretend to understand the internal mechanism that decides which
side the notes should go on, but I would have expected the correction to
work as you did with prefer-dotted-right = ##f, which it doesn't.  I also
tried the NoteColumn.force-hshift property, which kind of works. The note
would move successfully, but the dot wouldn't go with it. This would also
need to be a local override and unable to control it globally.

What is done is conventional notation, but I'm curious what is driving your
need to move d2. to the left in m.5? If it's for clarity, I wouldn't
recommend it, but maybe you have a different reason.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,
Abraham