Hi MIchael,

> While that works, wrapping that combo isn't required all the time. E.g. when
> you have
> dynamicsA = {
>   s2. s4\mf\< | s2 s2\f |
> }

That’s because this version does not use \after, which is a music function that
expects a single musical expression as its first parameter.

> there still is the bar check warning, implying that the combo \mf\f does use
> musical time.
> That's something I don't understand. Especially since it doesn't seem to when
> wrapped in {}.

\mf\< is two musical expressions; { \mf\< } is one musical expression.
"Use musical time” isn’t exactly how I would frame the behaviour.

> If that's intended (and I'm not saying it isn't or can't be) I'd like to
> understand the reason for this (to me) inconsistency.

It is intended, as far as I know.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.