> On 3 Jan 2024, at 00:41, John Helly <hel...@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Kieren.
>
> But, ... I don't really see why it should.  There are many songs for which
> the vocal precedes the melody.  Perhaps there is some other way to accomplish
> this that I'm unaware of.  I'm pretty much a novice at writing.  However, I
> am transcribing a published score into LP as an exercise but also to do my
> own arrangement.

My take on it would be that you should attach the first two syllables to the
first note "but it's" in the lyrics should do the trick, adding some horizontal
shift as needed to get it shifted a bit to the left if needed.
Lyrics are typically attached to the notes of the voice that tell how to voice
the syllables. Voicing a syllable on a rest is a physical impossibility, you
cannot both stop performing and voice a syllable.
So it sounds to me like the performer is supposed to voice "but it's" on the
first 8th note and the performer can decide by themselves on the time-division
to do so (e.g. 16th + 16th or dotted 16th+32nd) using any custom subdivision as
long as the total voicing of both syllables together is done on an 8th)