Raphael:
> That strikes me as being a programmer's response, and I speak as a
> programmer for over 50 years. Using <> works, but it is unintuitive. If
> s0 is more intuitive then that should be considered for future inclusion.

s1*0 works and is more or less equivalent to <> .

John:
> The second is for putting a mark, eg a coda, at the very end of a measure,
> over the barline (not over the last note, or the first note of the next
> measure).

For that, see \repeat segno, or if your use case doesn't fit the possibilities
of \repeat segno, use \codaMark.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/long-repeats.html#segno-repeat-structure

For arbitrary markup use \textMark or \textEndMark.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/writing-text.html#text-marks