On 10/01/2024 10:35, msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024, Raphael Mankin wrote:

That strikes me as being a programmer's response, and I speak as a programmer
for over 50 years. Using <> works, but it is unintuitive. If s0 is more
intuitive then that should be considered for future inclusion.

It's intuitive to me that s0 means a spacer rest of infinite duration,
because it's one whole note divided by zero.  And it opens the door
to using 0 as a duration denominator for other things than "s", as in "c0"
and "<c e g>0", let alone constructions like "s0." which would seem to be
a spacer of one and one half times infinite duration.  I don't think it's
a good idea to open those doors.  There doesn't seem to be any way to
allow zero as the duration denominator except as a unique exception; it
cannot be done in a way that's consistent with other syntax.

I agree that 0 as a denominator would seem to indicate an infinite duration, and allow the rest of your argument. However <> still seems unintuitive.

At least section 1.2.2 of the reference manual ought to be updated to include <> in the discussion of invisible rests.

--
Political correctness: a kind of McCarthyite movement in reverse which,
in the name of tolerance proscribes all reference to gender, ethnicity,