Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> writes:

> Please have a look at the attached image (from the full score of
> Stravinsky's Firebird, after rehearsal number 32).  How do I correctly
> notate this in LilyPond?  AFAICS, there is no real support for that –
> at least the 'most natural' way to notate it fails with warnings.  I
> could only manage to write a work-around by not using tremoli.  It
> seems that the `Chord_tremolo_engraver` is highjacking beams
> completely...
>

>     Werner
>

> ```
> \markup "doesn't work"
> \relative c''' {
>   \repeat tremolo 4 { e32[ c! }
>   \repeat tremolo 4 { es c }
>   \repeat tremolo 4 { d b] }
> }
>
> \markup "work-around"
> \relative c''' {
>   \set subdivideBeams = ##t
>   \set minimumBeamSubdivisionInterval = \musicLength 8
>   \override Beam.gap-count = 2
>   e32*2[ c! es c d b]
> }
> ```

Don't you want "\repeat tremolo 2" instead of 4?  Each tremolo pair is supposed
to be an 8th note in duration:  1/8 =  2 * (1/32 + 1/32).

In your "doesn't work" versionm, if you omit the manual beams, it
correctly typesets three quarter notes worth.

With "tremolo 2" it works with the manual beams, but issues warnings
"programming error: Stem already has beam".  I don't know whose
"programming" that refers to.  Does it mean Lilypond has detected a bug
in itself?

\relative c''' {
  \repeat tremolo 2 { e32[ c! }
  \repeat tremolo 2 { es c }