David Zelinsky <d...@dedekind.net> writes:

> Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Please have a look at the attached image (from the full score of
>> Stravinsky's Firebird, after rehearsal number 32).  How do I correctly
>> notate this in LilyPond?  AFAICS, there is no real support for that –
>> at least the 'most natural' way to notate it fails with warnings.  I
>> could only manage to write a work-around by not using tremoli.  It
>> seems that the `Chord_tremolo_engraver` is highjacking beams
>> completely...
>>

>>     Werner
>>

>> ```
>> \markup "doesn't work"
>> \relative c''' {
>>   \repeat tremolo 4 { e32[ c! }
>>   \repeat tremolo 4 { es c }
>>   \repeat tremolo 4 { d b] }
>> }
>>
>> \markup "work-around"
>> \relative c''' {
>>   \set subdivideBeams = ##t
>>   \set minimumBeamSubdivisionInterval = \musicLength 8
>>   \override Beam.gap-count = 2
>>   e32*2[ c! es c d b]
>> }
>> ```
>

> Don't you want "\repeat tremolo 2" instead of 4?  Each tremolo pair is
> supposed
> to be an 8th note in duration:  1/8 =  2 * (1/32 + 1/32).
>
> In your "doesn't work" versionm, if you omit the manual beams, it
> correctly typesets three quarter notes worth.
>
> With "tremolo 2" it works with the manual beams, but issues warnings
> "programming error: Stem already has beam".  I don't know whose
> "programming" that refers to.  Does it mean Lilypond has detected a bug
> in itself?
>

> \relative c''' {
>   \repeat tremolo 2 { e32[ c! }
>   \repeat tremolo 2 { es c }
>   \repeat tremolo 2 { d b] }
> }

Aargh!  Clearly I haven't had enough coffee today.  I still think it's
true that it should be "tremolo 2" -- and without the manual beams it is
typesets correctly though not beamed the way you want.  But the example
I showed with the manual beams is of course completely wrong!  It's not
tremolo.

Sorry to be so daft.

-David