Hi David,

On 7/27/07, David Fedoruk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd better clarify something which is not apparent in the small
> amountof score I've posted here. The top voice is the voice which will
> continue as the main voice. The lower one, in this case pops in for
> two bars, drops out for a bar completely then re-apears for two bars
> at which point the  notes are stemmed on one stem. So this is sort of
> polyphony where it makes sense at the moment from Scarlattii's point
> of view.

That's exactly why you should avoid << { } \\ { } >> in this situation,
since it creates two new voice contexts which you can't link to the outside
world.

I wasn't sure how to deal with the creation fo new voices when they
> were created so often and dissapears just as often. Do new voices have
> to  be removed or ended?

New voices end automatically in a polyphonic section with the >>, so you
needn't worry about their housekeeping - LilyPond creates and destroys them
as required.

That is why I am doing it this way.

> ------- Code Snip ----------
>
> ef[d ef f g af ]                                        |       % bar 65
>         g[ bf \grace af16 g8 f ef df ]| bar 66
>

>            \grace bf16 \stemUp  cf2  af'4~ |
> \new Voice      { \stemDown      cf,2.                  |  }    % bar
> 67,68
>
>          af'8[ af gf f bf af ]  |
>         gf[bf \grace af16 gf8 f ef df
> bar 69

That won't work - it just tells LilyPond to insert a new voice, so you get
an extra bar. You must have the << >> present for simultaneous music.

Regards,
Neil