On 12/03/2013 09:09 AM, Frederick Bartlett wrote:
Now that I'm *cough, cough* an expert LilyPond user, I want to explore something really difficult.

My wife, a voice teacher, suffers from macular degeneration. Before her vision degrades so much that she can no longer read printed scores, I'd like to cobble together a system that

  * scans piano-vocal sheet music
  * creates a LilyPond file
  * controls a digital piano with LilyPond's midi output
  * displays the score in sync on a tablet at arbitrary magnification
  * controls tempi and dynamics by gestures and taps (and/or voice
    commands)
  * (bonus round) 'listens' to the singer and adjusts tempi and
    dynamics to match

Judging by the success of Frescobaldi, most of this would seem to be feasible. And I have five years or so to figure all this out ...

Has anyone on this list ever used Audiveris or OpenOMR?

How about creating non-paged graphical output from LilyPond?

Thanks for reading!

Fred

Hello Fred,

I have a friend with macular degeneration, to the degree he literally holds his music touching his nose. I've created a template for use with LilyPond and Frescobaldi, which gives 2-3 bars per landscape letter sized page. I've adjusted things like slur line thickness, made fonts bold and so forth. You might open the file in Frescobaldi and "Save As a template". Hope it's useful!

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands. You need to be able to throw something back.

\version "2.17.29"

\include "english.ly"

\header {
  title =  "Psalm 19"

  composer = \markup { \teeny "Benedetto Marcello" }
  tagline  = ##f
}
\paper {

  #(set-paper-size "letter" 'landscape)
  system-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #6
  ragged-last-bottom = ##t
  ragged-bottom = ##f
  ragged-right = ##f

  myStaffSize = #80

  #(define fonts
     (make-pango-font-tree "Nimbus Sans Bold"
       "Nimbus Sans Bold"
       "Luxi Mono Bold"
       (/ myStaffSize 80)))

  print-page-number = ##f
  check-consistency = ##f
}

#(set-global-staff-size 80 )

tempoMark = {
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbols = #'(time-signature key-signature)
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'break-align-anchor-alignment = #LEFT
  \mark \markup \bold \teeny "Allegro moderato"
}

global = {
  \tempoMark
  \key f \major
  \time 4/4
  \override DynamicTextSpanner.style = #'none
  \crescTextCresc
  \dimTextDim
  \compressFullBarRests

}

bassVoice = \relative c {
  \global
  \dynamicUp
  \accidentalStyle "modern-voice-cautionary"

  \bar "||"
}

verse = \lyricmode {

}

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "one" {
      \set midiInstrument = #"french horn"
      \clef "bass" \bassVoice }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" { \verse }

  \layout {

    \override BarNumber.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
    \override Staff.Stem #'thickness = #4.5
    \override LyricText.font-name = #'"Nimbus Sans Bold"
    \override LyricText.font-size = #-4
    \override LyricHyphen.thickness = #4.0
    \override Hairpin.thickness = #4.0
    \override Slur.thickness = #4.0
    \override SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 16 )