On 07/01/14 14:51, Urs Liska wrote:
I don't think it would be advisable to encourage any _new_ user to learn SVN or
CVS (if it isn't for a specific project of interest), but for your use case this
is surely a valid question.

One way in which svn can still be useful is in cases where you want the code but don't care about having a local copy of the version history. Example: recently I needed the latest gcc trunk source. Cloning via git-svn or bzr-svn proved extraordinarily slow and painful simply because the history was so large; taking a svn checkout was much quicker and easier, and (obviously) also used far less disk space; and it was completely adequate to purpose, because all I wanted was the ability to keep the code up to date, not to commit to it myself.

I do wonder if this is one of the reason why some projects keep svn as the main VCS, using git or other DVCS mirrors for those who want to use them.