On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Jay Vara <j...@diljun.com> wrote:

Also, I just saw your next note - that note and rest events do not cross
> added bar lines. In that case, what do they mean by sub-bar  units in
>  lily/completion-noteheads-engraver.cc? If they mean sub-bar units of the
> compound meter, they should work for your snippet and they do not.

Apparently, the context property completionUnit needs to be set for the
engraver to recognize sub-bar groupings.

This gets better results:

\version "2.19.10"

musicA = {
  \compoundMeter #'((3 8) (1 4))
  \relative c' {
    c4 d e f g
    r4 r r r r

patterning = {
  \repeat unfold 4 {
    \set Staff.completionUnit = #(ly:make-moment 3/8)
    s4. \bar "!"
    \set Staff.completionUnit = #(ly:make-moment 1/4)
    s4

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice \musicA
    \new Voice \patterning

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Voice
      \remove Note_heads_engraver
      \consists Completion_heads_engraver
      \remove Rest_engraver
      \consists Completion_rest_engraver

%%%%%%%

I wonder two things:

(1) Is there a way to combine the notes and rests in the 1/4 division of
the bars?

(2) Why the inconsistency in the rests in the 3/8 divisions?
Quarter-eighth is correct.  Why is this reversed the second time?

​
Anyway, hope this helps.

--David