On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 7:24 AM, David Nalesnik <david.nales...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  \version "2.19.16"
>
> #(set! default-script-alist
>        (append default-script-alist
>          (list
>           `("weakbeat"
>              . (
>                  (script-stencil . (feta . ("weakbeat" . "weakbeat")))
>                  ; any other properties
>                  (toward-stem-shift-in-column . 0.0)
>                  (padding . 0.20)
>                  (avoid-slur . around)
>                  (direction . ,UP))))))
>
> weakbeat = #(make-articulation "weakbeat")
>
> { c\weakbeat }
>
> \layout {
>   \context {
>     \Score
>     scriptDefinitions = #default-script-alist
>   }
> }
>
> %%%

Here's my conclusion:

When using append, we are setting default-script-alist to a list which
doesn't necessarily share structure with the original default-script-alist.
 scriptDefinitions is bound to the original default-script-alist unless you
reassign it to the concatenated list.  append! destructively modifies the
list that scriptDefinitions is bound to, so there is no need for the set in
the context block.

--David