On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Shlomo Yona wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I wonder if there is some interest helping 1st semester computer
> science students in Haifa university installing and configuring Linux
> for programming, interneting (email web surfing) and some Hebrew/English
> word processing.
>
> These students get free windows XP from microsoft and free version of
> the visual .NET - they and their professors have no clue how to program
> elsewhere and how to use anything but windows.
>
> This is the chance of the Linux people to help the newbies getting started.
>
> So... how many "working hands" can I get for a Linux installation/configuration
> party at Haifa university?

More on that subject (from private conversation with Shlomo:

The idea is that first-year students will use gcc instead of borland
tc3.1/dos. gcc is available for windows (cygwin), but maybe some students
will want the "real thing".

The idea is to have some "reception hours" in which students can have
installation support (maybe CDs?) a bit before the beginning of the
semester (a bit after the beginning of the semester?)

Slightly Off Topic:
Anybody knows some resonable IDE for cygwin?

* emacs (but we're talking about newbies)
* I couldn't build motor on cygwin. It complains about some missing
  include file, and I didn't bother
* There is something called WideStudio Builder
  (http://www.widestudio.org/). Anybody managed to get something useful
  out of it?
* ddd should build, but requires X
* ditto for kdevelop. Note that the status of KDE2 on cygwin is  beta, and
  that cygwin's XFree is generally slow.

Also note that running ./configure on cygwin takes   a   l o n g   t i m e
(forking on cygwin is slow)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]