On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Scott Bambrough
<scott.bambro...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 15:45 +0300, Amit Kucheria wrote:
>> IMHO, as we continuously add support for more platforms and even more
>> boards,
>> it will become untenable to maintain these wiki pages. Something
>> similar to
>> 'testdrive' for Ubuntu is required for the next cycle.
>>
>> Why can't l-m-c ask some basic questions and just DTRT? Questions
>> would be:
>>  - What SoC?
>>  - What board?
>>  - What release (milestone)?
>>  - Image type (headless, alip, qemu, etc.)
>>
>> Each of these would be a multiple choice question. This should get rid
>> of the
>> several levels of indirection required just to download all the right
>> components before trying to prepare an image.
>
> This would make l-m-c an unmaintainable beast IMHO.  It is all about
> creating the boot media, not acquiring the components needed for this.

Agreed, it should be a separate script. Something like 'testdrive'
that is the 'UI' that downloads the components, creates the qemu
image, etc.

> However it might not be a bad thing to have a separate script that asks
> those questions and just downloads the components, particularly if that
> script could be data driven and easy to maintain.

It should be easily data driven. That datafile could contain all of
the information required for the questions above.

And with the right packaging, upgrades to linaro-testdrive will
continually add support for new platforms and boards.

Regards,
Amit