On Mon, Feb 14, 2011, Paul Larson wrote:
> Only if linaro-n-developer.tar.gz is a symlink to
> linrao-n-developer-tar-DATESTAMP-BUILDID.tar.gz.  It is still useful to have
> some easy way to see which image we are pulling, even if it means pulling it
> out of the filename.  Another alternative, would be if we could drop some
> buildstamp file in the image directory to pull this from.

 I personally don't like DATESTAMP in the filename; it makes rsync-ing
 harder as a start, and it only helps with local tarballs, not installed
 images.  I think you want some build-stamp information in the tarball
 itself, no matter what, so you can as well "tar vtf
 linaro-n-dev.tar.gz|grep build-stamp" or something.  The date of the
 build is only one of the important pieces of information which we want
 to see at a glance about a build, so I'd rather not clutter filenames
 with it.

> Another thought too... if we are already going to this extent to make it
> easier for people to stay up to date with the latest image, does it make
> sense to go ahead and enable creation of .zsync files for the images?
> Granted, these aren't nearly the size of an iso, but some of our folks with
> slower connections might appreciate it.

 Good idea; there's also a request to consider .xz instead of .gz:
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-images/+bug/683849

--
Loïc Minier