On 06/30/2011 08:00 AM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
Andy Green wrote:

ROM being ROM, it can't be upgraded, however, unlike in OMAP3 the ROM in
OMAP4 stuff seems pretty much perfect for SD Card boot case, it doesn't
care about any arcane stuff like geometry for example. It only needs to
success to pull MLO reliably and anything further can be done there in
an upgradeable way.

neither does the OMAP3 ROM code. All the cargo cult around geometry stems
from the fact that initially x-loader aka MLO hardcoded sector 63 for the
start of the boot partition and this is fixed since long. Unfortunately,
there is a large number of ancient unfixed MLO files out there...

I think we can count that as arcarna... but I think we're talking about different problems, and that the ROM fragility to partitioning on OMAP3 is real enough.

On an IGEP0020 I was unable to create a bootable image -- one that would boot x-loader so it would talk on the serial console -- even after a couple of days struggling. It was only 'solved' in the end when Loic imaged the start of his magic working card and I dd'd it on to mine. Then it was happy even when I put my MLO on there.

-Andy

--
Andy Green | TI Landing Team Leader
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs | Follow Linaro